[Quilt-dev] merging with upstream and adding new files

From: jerome lacoste
Subject: [Quilt-dev] merging with upstream and adding new files
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 11:13:33 +0200

I didn't find any quilt users mailing list so I guess this is the
right place to be.

Now some notes. I just started to use quilt this week. I am using it
to manage local patches

- removing patches

One of the patches I had applied locally has been merged upstream.
I made a cvs up on the code with my patches applied and this created
an issue. I think I've also refreshed my patch later on, I thought
that this would make the patch 'empty'. Except that this created a
reverse patch!
I guess I shouldn't have poped all patches first, do a cvs up and push
them afterwards, removing the obsolete ones.

Am I correct? If so, maybe the documentation (PDF) should contain some
notes about merging upstream patches.

- Furthermore It took me time to understand that in order to get a new
file into a patch, I had to do something like

touch myfile
quilt add myfile
cp myfile/from/somewhere myfile
quilt refresh

Without creating the empty file first and adding it, quilt was not
doing anything.

For example if I was to

cat > file
quilt add file
quilt refresh
# file not in patch
# then
quilt pop
quilt push
# file 'lost' in patch list

I understand why it's like that now, but I wonder if the doc could be
more explicit about it

Cheers,

Jerome