Re: [Quilt-dev] merging with upstream and adding new files

From: jerome lacoste
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] merging with upstream and adding new files
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:29:29 +0200

On 5/30/05, Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Saturday 28 May 2005 11:13, jerome lacoste wrote:
> > Now some notes. I just started to use quilt this week. I am using it
> > to manage local patches
> >
> > - removing patches
> >
> > One of the patches I had applied locally has been merged upstream.
> > I made a cvs up on the code with my patches applied and this created
> > an issue. I think I've also refreshed my patch later on, I thought
> > that this would make the patch 'empty'. Except that this created a
> > reverse patch!
> > I guess I shouldn't have poped all patches first, do a cvs up and push
> > them afterwards, removing the obsolete ones.
>
> The right thing to do would be:
>  - pop all patches
>  - cvs up
>  - push all patches again, merge rejects, and remove patches which have
>    meanwhile been integrated.

So we agree :)

> > Am I correct? If so, maybe the documentation (PDF) should contain some
> > notes about merging upstream patches.
>
> Yes, I agree. Do you want to write something up and send a patch?

Here's one. Let me know if it's too verbose.

> > - Furthermore It took me time to understand that in order to get a new
> > file into a patch, I had to do something like
> >
> > touch myfile
> > quilt add myfile
> > cp myfile/from/somewhere myfile
> > quilt refresh
> >
> > Without creating the empty file first and adding it, quilt was not
> > doing anything.
>
> Wrong order of operations. Do it like this:
>  - quilt add myfile
>  - cp myfile/from/somewhere myfile .
>  - quilt refresh

So you don't need the touch command...

OK I tried again on a simple example but this time it worked. It's
strange because I was sure. I had done the same operations. I probably
didn't.

> > [..
> > I understand why it's like that now, but I wonder if the doc could be
> > more explicit about it
>
> Hmm, the documentation says:
>
> > [...] Files must be added to a patch with quilt add before they are
> modified. Note that this is slightly different from the CVS style of
> interaction: with CVS, files are in the repository, and adding them before
> committing (but after modifying them) is enough. [...]
>
> How do you want this to be explained instead?

It's OK. In my experience and probably because of my mistake, I've had
to touch the file before quilt adding it.

But if it works without, nothing is to be changed.

Jerome