Re: [Quilt-dev] Annotate command

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Annotate command
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:16:26 +0200

On Monday 20 June 2005 07:34, Jean Delvare wrote:
> [Andreas Gruenbacher]
>
> > here is a first shot at a cvs-style annotate command that shows which
> > patches  modify which parts of a file. Useful especially with huge
> > patch series.
>
> Sounds like a very good idea, I didn't even think we could possibly do
> that. Could you please tell us how the script works? I think it would
> greatly benefit from a few comments here and there, as it's not totally
> trivial.

# The annotated listing is generated as follows: A file of annotations
# is created based on a file that contains the same number of lines as
# the source file, but all lines are empty.
#
# Then, for each patch that modifies the source file, a diff without
# context is generated (-U0 or -C0 would do, but I've picked -e).  In
# that diff, all line additions are replaced with the identifier of the
# patch (1, 2, ...). These patches are then applied to the empty file.
#
# Finally, the annotations listing is merged with the source file line
# by line.

> As a side note, the script creates a temporary file $apatch but then
> never uses it. It has to be an error.

Ahh, a leftover, thanks.

- Andreas.