[Quilt-dev] Re: quilt diff -z vs. absolute path in QUILT_PATCHES

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Re: quilt diff -z vs. absolute path in QUILT_PATCHES
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:48:46 +0200

On Monday 27 June 2005 04:34, Werner Almesberger wrote:
> I wrote:
> > In quilt 0.40, if QUILT_PATCHES contains an absolute path name,
>
> [...]
>
> After having had a closer look, I realized that using an absolute
> path in QUILT_PATCHES also breaks the top-level directory discovery.
> Fortunately, quilt falls back to just requiring that we run it from
> the top-level directory, which is what I'm doing anyway.
>
> I wonder if it wouldn't be better to change the mechanism to look
> for $dir/patches and $dir/.pc, and to stop the search when either
> is found.

Some projects already contain ``patches'' directories, so in that case
QUILT_PATCHES can be changed to something else, for example,
QUILT_PATCHES=px. We want to keep that feature.

I don't immediately recall the reason for not searching for .pc directories.
Maybe I'll remember later.

> That way, an absolute path in QUILT_PATCHES wouldn't be a problem,
> and one could easily have a common patches repository for multiple
> trees, without needing to put a symlink in each of them.

I'm wondering if this really is a big deal? It's by definition a working tree
anyway...

Cheers,
Andreas