Re: [Quilt-dev] [OT] 'headers' in patches

From: jerome lacoste
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [OT] 'headers' in patches
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:58:18 +0200

It hadn't occured to me that there was a POSIX standard. Thanks for
pointing that out :)

> The manual page obviously documents the implementation of "patch" you
> are using, so I don't think we can call it "official documentation".
> However, the POSIX specification [1] for a "patch" utility says roughly
> the same:
>
> "The patch file shall contain zero or more lines of header information
> followed by one or more patches."

[...]

> [1] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/patch.html

Now that I took a look at it, in particular the diff documentation
[2], I am a little bit confused...
Most patches that I see daily are in the form of unified diff. The
diff POSIX standard doesn't seem to define unified diff. It does
support context diff (with option -c) which matches the most closely
what I know as unified diff but has some differences in its format.

Isn't that surprising?

Cheers,

Jerome

[2] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/diff.html