Re: [Quilt-dev] Extending on the grouping feature - recursive series

From: Sébastien Dugué
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Extending on the grouping feature - recursive series
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:26:39 +0200

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 07:46 -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 03:59:18PM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Friday 08 July 2005 15:16, Sébastien Dugué wrote:
> > >   Hi,
> > >
> > >   extending on the grouping feature, would it be possible to
> > > have recursive series files?
> > >
> > >   What I mean is if an entry in a series file references a directory
> > > (instead of a patch file), then get the series file in that directory
> > > and apply it (eventally recursing into sub directories).
> > >
> > >   This would allow grouping of patches without the need to reference
> > > every patch file on the toplevel series file, but only the directories
> > > into which reside those groups patches.
> >
> > I'm not sure this feature is generally useful. It would slow down quilt as
> > whole. Another issue is how to walk the tree (moving forward and backward),
> > and into which series file to insert new patches. Do you have a case where

  Right, adding a new patch would be ambigous as to where to insert it.

> > creating one single series file really causes a significant amount of work?

  None really, it's not about the amount of work but rather about
maintainability. The thing is that when having a lot of patches I find
it would be easier to maintain if the series file could be broken down
into several sets of patches. But then it will surely break existing
quilt commands semantic.

> > Patches usually don't combine in arbitrary orders anyway, so the different
> > parts of the series file need to be put together very carefully anyway...

  Right again.

> We've been talking about doing something like this for a different
> reason.  Rather than looking for $SERIES in a subdir, we've been talking
> about some sort of include mechanism so that we can have something like:
> series.released # Released product.
> series.next # Development of next product, 'include's series.released
> series.dev_board_a # Development on board a, 'include's series.next
>
> And so on.

  That could be a solution, but it would raise the same problem
described by Andreas as to where to insert any new patch.

  Sébastien.

  Sébastien Dugué                BULL/FREC:B1-247
  phone: (+33) 476 29 77 70      Bullcom: 229-7770

  mailto:address@hidden

  Linux POSIX AIO: http://www.bullopensource.org/posix