Re: [Quilt-dev] Extending on the grouping feature - recursive series

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Extending on the grouping feature - recursive series
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:59:18 +0200

Hello,

On Friday 08 July 2005 15:16, Sébastien Dugué wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   extending on the grouping feature, would it be possible to
> have recursive series files?
>
>   What I mean is if an entry in a series file references a directory
> (instead of a patch file), then get the series file in that directory
> and apply it (eventally recursing into sub directories).
>
>   This would allow grouping of patches without the need to reference
> every patch file on the toplevel series file, but only the directories
> into which reside those groups patches.

I'm not sure this feature is generally useful. It would slow down quilt as a
whole. Another issue is how to walk the tree (moving forward and backward),
and into which series file to insert new patches. Do you have a case where
creating one single series file really causes a significant amount of work?
Patches usually don't combine in arbitrary orders anyway, so the different
parts of the series file need to be put together very carefully anyway...

Cheers,
Andreas.