Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt on SuSE 7.2 and Windows

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt on SuSE 7.2 and Windows
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:04:06 +0200

Hi all,

[Andreas Gruenbacher]
> As long as the patches don't badly mess up the code or slow things
> down too badly, I think we will accept UNIX patches, yes.
>
> Porting quilt to Windows sounds more like an exercise in masochism:
> quilt relies on the UNIX toolchain a lot and Windows has much slower
> process startup times, so quilt will never run well as far as I can
> see. I'm not sure we should even bother. I'll surely take obvious
> things, and things that won't hurt otherwise.

I totally second Andreas on both points.

I would myself be interested in porting quilt to Solaris, although I
lack the time to do so right now.

Please keep in mind that it is always possible to install newer versions
of bash, sed, gawk and others to a separate location and have quilt (and
only quilt if you want so) use them. This is certainly a better approach
to getting quilt to run on older Linux systems or non-Linux systems than
messing up with quilt's code, which I think is quite good right now, to
make it support older tools. I did install a separate bash on my Linux
system to workaround the broken pipe problem, and if I ever get to
installing it on Solaris, I'll start by installing updated versions of
everything it needs, as I know that Solaris sed, nawk etc. lack most
features quilt needs.

Thanks,