Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt-specific $EDITOR

From: Joe Green
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt-specific $EDITOR
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 09:23:35 -0700

Jean Delvare wrote:

Users may want to use a different $EDITOR for quilt and for other tasks.
The quilt "mail" and "header" commands already support that, you just
have to add an "EDITOR=foo" line in ~/.quiltrc. However I was surprised
to notice that it doesn't work with the command that would need it the
most: "edit". The reason is that quilt/edit doesn't source patchfns like
all other functions do, and the reading of ~/.quiltrc happens there.
Thus, I would propose that we now source patchfns in edit.
Probably the original idea was that this would just be picked up from the environment, rather than quiltrc. Being able to do this in quiltrc is a nice feature, though, so I think this is a good change.

We could probably go with something faster, as we only need to source
~/.quiltrc and not the whole patchfns. However, it would duplicate some
code and increase the maintenance cost for a speed benefit that is
hardly measurable, so I don't think it's worth the additional effort.
And we are likely to need some of the patchfns functions in the edit
functions in the future anyway.
Yes, the patch I proposed to use a patchfn to invoke subcommands ("add" in the case of "edit") needed this also. That reminds me, I need to ping on that one again, I think there's still a bug there.

--
Joe Green <address@hidden>
MontaVista Software, Inc.