Re: [Quilt-dev] Making quilt edit quieter, take 2

From: Joe Green
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Making quilt edit quieter, take 2
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:49:01 -0700

Jean Delvare wrote:

Hi all,

Here comes a second version of my "quilt edit be quiet" patch. Thank to
Andreas Gruenbacher, John Vandenberg and Joe Green for their comments on
the first version. I've updated it to be in sync with current CVS, and
made the following changes:

* The -q option of "quilt add" will hide the message usually printed
when a file is successfully added to a patch.
I left this message in for the implementation I did. For me, it's presence is a reinforcment that it added a file when I expected it to, and a warning warning when I didn't expect it (e.g., I'm on the wrong patch). This may just be an idiosyncracy of mine, though; it makes sense for quiet to mean quiet.

Maybe it would be a good idea to just remove the "already in patch" message completely, and have this one controlled by "-q".

* The remove command was granted a -q option as well, which "quilt edit"
uses so that no message is printed when a file is left unedited.

With these changes, "quilt edit" will keep quiet as long as no problem
occurs. Comments welcome. If there are no objections, I will apply this
patch to CVS.

Now that it's turning off more messages, I think it might be better if the behavior were controlled by a "-q" option on edit rather than being on all the time. Other than that, it looks OK to me.

--
Joe Green <address@hidden>
MontaVista Software, Inc.