Re: [Quilt-dev] Making quilt edit quieter, take 2

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Making quilt edit quieter, take 2
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:23:09 +0200

Hi Joe, Andreas,

> > Now that it's turning off more messages, I think it might be better
> > if the behavior were controlled by a "-q" option on edit rather than
> > being on all the time.
>
> I agree.

OK, thanks for your comments on this, this is much appreciated.

The more I think of it, the more it seems that what was bugging me with
"quilt edit" was not the fact that it was printing messages, but the
fact that it was printing different messages if the file was already in
the top patch or not. Reminding the name of the patch being worked on is
valuable. I've probably been barking up the wrong tree this time.

So I'll rework my patch and post it again once I have something that
makes more sense. Speaking of patches, wouldn't it make sense to have
"quilt edit" support a -p parameter to pass the patch to work on, just
like "quilt add" has? It seems a bit strange that "quilt edit" only
allows editing files in the top patch when quilt itself seems to be fine
with files in other applied patches being edited (under conditions, of
course.) I'm just wondering, maybe there's a reason why this wasn't
done?

Thanks,