Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 3/8] tac is not portable

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 3/8] tac is not portable
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:52:14 +0200

Hi Gary,

> No, I mean that with that syntax you are running:
>
>   (time head -n 500 <largefile;) | gtac
>
> not:
>
>   time (head -n 500 < large file | gtac)

I don't think so, not on my system at least.

$ time true | sleep 1

real    0m1.012s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.004s

$ (time true) | sleep 1

real    0m0.007s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.004s

I guess the left-hand side of the pipe needs to wait for the right-hand
side of the pipe to exit before it can exit itself, in order to get the
return code or something alike.

Oddly enough,

$ time (true | sleep 1)

returns only after the 1 second sleep, but doesn't print anything. I
have no idea why.