Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 3/8] tac is not portable

From: Peter Williams
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 3/8] tac is not portable
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:11:59 +1000

Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Josh,

[Josh Boyer]

If soneone does get ambitious enough to do this, my preference would
be in python.  I find it more readable than perl.  Plus, gquilt is
already written in python, so integration would be easy.

That second reason sounds wrong to me. A front-end isn't supposed to
know about the internals of the tool it interfaces with, or both end up
being so dependent from each other that you obtain a single application
and other candidate front-ends are likely to die.

I agree with this argument but, like Josh, would still prefer Python over Perl (if there was a rewrite) from the code maintenance point of view. I gave up writing Perl scripts years ago (and switched to Python) because I found it hard to understand even my own programs after the passage of (even relatively short periods of) time. :-(

In gquilt, I'm attempting to make the interface between it and the back end more generic (and formal) so that it can be used with other tools such as "stacked GIT". So having quilt rewritten in Python shouldn't cause too much interdependence between it and gquilt.

Oh well, jut my opinion I guess.

It's still valid though. :-)

Peter
--