Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 7/8] Unmerged patches regenerated against CVS HEA

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 7/8] Unmerged patches regenerated against CVS HEAD
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:57:44 +0200

On Thursday 22 September 2005 14:27, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> GNU projects maintain ChangeLogs, which always cause a problem when
> generating and applying patches.  For some years now I've been using
> clcleanup and cl2patch from savannah.gnu.org/projects/cvs-utils:
> clcleanup removes the conflicting date section from the ChangeLog hunks,
> so that patch doesn't reject them; cl2patch tweaks the same hunks so
> that they can be successfully added to the top of the ChangeLog bearing
> today's date.
>
> This patch adds a filter option to refresh and push which allows me
> to hook these scripts into quilt: quilt pop -a && cvs up && quilt push -a
> now works properly on ChangeLog bearing projects without having to
> manually fix up the ChangeLog after each push.

I would prefer "real" filters that change the data stream they receive from
stdin or pass it through unchanged instead of exit status checking. This
allows to put the filter into the scripts more easily as a pipe component,
similar to:

        eval "foo | ${filter:+$filter |} bar"

this allows filter to be a shell/bash expression.

-- Andreas.