Re: [Quilt-dev] running tests on a patched quilt

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] running tests on a patched quilt
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:01:32 +0200

Hi John,

[John Vandenberg]
> When I run the tests in a quilt checkout, if I have a patches
> directory, all hell breaks loose,  During the test cases, quilt walk
> up the directory tree until it finds the `quilt' patches directory.
> Can this be avoided without altering QUILT_PATCHES?  If QUILT_PATCHES
> needs to be different, is it reasonable for test/Makefile to set it to
> a value that is not likey to be used by real people?

I've worked on this problem earlier today. I noticed that some tests
worked in the conditions you describe, and most didn't. The difference
is that the former create the patches subdirectory explicitely before
running any quilt command that needs it. So I modified all tests to do
the same. I think this is the most simple and efficient solution to the
problem. Picking a different $QUILT_PATCHES could always break, you
never know how people name their own directories.

What do you think?