Re: [Quilt-dev] Time for 0.43?

From: Randy.Dunlap
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Time for 0.43?
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:57:28 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Jean Delvare wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Wouldn't it be the right time for a new release of quilt, say, 0.43?
> It's been 5 months since we released 0.42, and there have been quite a
> few improvements and fixes since then.

Yes, I agree.

> There's only one thing I'd like to see fixed in CVS before we release
> it: the spurious regeneration of quilt.1 at built time. I seem to
> remember that John Vandenberg posted patch to fix this (among other
> things) back in September:
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2005-09/msg00324.html
> Can someone review this patch?
>
> And of course it'd be nice to complete the translation files before the
> release. I'll take care of the French one.
>
> If anyone thinks anything else needs to be fixed before the next
> release, please speak up.

I'd like to see a bit more support for the Linux kernel
canonical patch format.  It's documented in
linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches (line 304 in 2.6.15-rc7).

Basically this means (at least) keeping lines that contain
only "---" as a separator line before any diffstat output
or at the end of the "header".  It could (optionally ?)
additionally cause quilt to add From: and Signed-off-by:
template lines to the header.

A patch that keeps "---" lines in 'quilt refresh' is here:
  http://developer.osdl.org/chrisw/quilt/quilt-refresh-linux-kernel-style.patch

I don't know who wrote it.

I'm willing to work on the addition if it sounds OK.

--
~Randy