Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt vs bash 3.1

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt vs bash 3.1
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 00:01:46 +0100

Hello Arnaud,

On Friday 10 February 2006 18:27, Arnaud Patard wrote:
> I wanted to try latest quilt and I ran "make check". Instead of passing
> all tests the following ones were failing :
> - applied.test
> - mail.test
> - snapshot.test
> - snapshot2.test
>
> After some tests, I found out that the test are failing only on bash
> 3.1. If I revert to bash 3.0 on the same box, the tests are succeeding.
> (FYI, I've seen these failures with bash 3.1 on two differents
> distributions)
>
> I've made some patches for that and I'm sending them with this
> mail. Perrhaps, they're not the best way to solve the matter but at
> least it should help to fix it.

fork_fix.patch

  The original code is quite messy, and your change looks good. I don't see
  why your version of bash 3.1 is failing at this place. (Our version of
  bash 3.1 has some fixes applied.) I'll clean up the code a little; this
  should fix the problem you are seeing as well.

mail_sed_fix.patch

  The $'...' construct is needed here for versions of sed that don't
  understand escape sequences like \t. Bash 3.1 has a parsing bug; see the
  attached patch and/or https://bugzilla.novell.com/141394.

push_fix.patch

  Good -- I didn't run into this bug yet.

Bash 3.1 is a pretty crappy release. We will see reports about the $'...' bug
over and over again :(

Thanks,
Andreas