Re: [Quilt-dev] patch for alternate setup mode

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] patch for alternate setup mode
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:33:09 +0100

On Thursday 09 February 2006 20:37, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-09 at 04:05 +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > Okay, that's roughly what I guessed. So different series files go with
> > different kernel tarballs as well, right?
>
> Yes, I believe so.
>
> > How about this approach: you add ``# Source: ...'' comments to each of
> > those series files that identify whatever tarball the series is against
> > (filename only; no path); quilt setup already understands those. We add
> > an option to the series command that allows to specify an optional
> > additional search path for the tarballs.
> >
> > Then you can do this from the lustre directory:
> >
> >     quilt setup --path=.. lustre/kernel_patches/series/2.6-suse.series
> >
> > this will untar the tarball and set up the rest as you want.

You can do that now: I've added --path, and the series file will also get
linked into the source tree properly.

> The response I got from this was that something our developers want to
> be able to do is to pop all the patches and then just point the kernel
> tree to a different lustre tree (i.e. another branch with possibly
> different patches on it) and push those without having to unpack another
> tarball.
>
> So it seems that they like not having the unpack step as part of their
> "setup".  With the size of a kernel tree and the overhead of removing it
> just to unpack it again to apply a different set of patches, I can
> understand that.

Hmm, this sounds like a major recipe for disaster. You will end up with a
messed up source tree sooner or later. If you really want to do that, please
use a private shell script or something.

Andreas