Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 1/3] Add --no-intro option

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 1/3] Add --no-intro option
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:27:39 +0200

Hi Ville,

> Add a new --no-intro option to quilt mail to comply with akpm's
> "The perfect patch" guidelines.

I didn't know about that particular section (6b) of akpm's The Perfect
Patch. I don't quite agree, and I know of other top kernel developers
(e.g. Greg KH) who do send an introduction patch when sending patch
series. As long as you keep in mind that the introduction is only meant
for the mailing list, I find it a convenient way to share summaries and
series statistics.

Nevertheless I agree that it might be needed in some cases to send a
series of patches with no introductory mail. But I am confused by your
implementation, because it still invokes an editor for the
introduction, and most of what you type there is lost. --no-intro also
fails if I don't set the Subject in the introduction, while this
subject won't be used anyway. This needs to be improved.

We could decide that --no-intro is never interactive (--to becomes
mandatory), or make it clearer at edition that only some mail headers
are to be edited. This would mean removing the Message-Id, Date and
Subject headers as well as the signature, and maybe even adding an
explicit warning.

Thanks,