Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt doesn't fail when patches/series is not a file

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt doesn't fail when patches/series is not a file
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:44:51 +0100

Le mardi 24 novembre 2009 17:27, Andreas Gruenbacher a écrit :
> On Tuesday 24 November 2009 01:15:09 Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > I would suggest to use "set -e" by default precisely to catch all errors
> > and to decide on a case-by-case basis what error can be ignored (with a
> > simple "|| true").
>
> We would end up with a lot of unexpected failures which would break quilt for
> many people. Maybe we can review the most important commands one by one and
> gradually convert them to "set -e"?

What about just fixing the bug that was reported, first? (And adding
a case to the test suite to make sure it doesn't happen again.)

As I understand it, all "set -e" will buy us is that bugs in quilt
will cause noisy failures instead of quiet (but generally not silent,
as the failing command will likely complain as in Raphael's example)
failures. We still will have to fix the bugs. So I'm unsure if it's
really worth the change and efforts.

Suse L3