[Quilt-dev] quilt doesn't fail when patches/series is not a file

From: Raphael Hertzog
Subject: [Quilt-dev] quilt doesn't fail when patches/series is not a file
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 01:15:09 +0100

Hello,

here's a simple test case of the problem:

┏rivendell:~/tmp/test
┗(575)$ mkdir -p patches/series
┏rivendell:~/tmp/test
┗(578)$ LANG=C quilt new patch
sed: read error on patches/series: Is a directory
cat: patches/series: Is a directory
/usr/share/quilt/scripts/patchfns: line 270: patches/series: Is a directory
Patch patch is now on top
┏rivendell:~/tmp/test
┗(579)$ echo $?
0

I would suggest to use "set -e" by default precisely to catch all errors
and to decide on a case-by-case basis what error can be ignored (with a
simple "|| true").

For reference, the report that triggered this mail is
http://bugs.debian.org/557618

dpkg-source believes that a new quilt patch has been well registered
but it really wasn't since the series files it tried to use was a
directory. I do check quilt's return code on all calls and I would have
expected an error here.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog