Re: [Quilt-dev] [RFC] provide a quilt clean command

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [RFC] provide a quilt clean command
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:45:37 +0100

Hi David,

Le samedi 12 décembre 2009 14:39, David Paleino a écrit :
> Hello people,
> while looking at bugs filed in Debian, I stumbled across "please provide a
> quilt clean command":
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=496630
>
> On Tuesday 26 August 2008 11:36:21, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >         Hi!
> >
> >  It would be more convenient if quilt would be able to clean up after
> > itself. That is, removing the .pc directory again (and possibly other
> > autogenerated/cached files). Having to work around that with make file
> > magic or other means is IMHO the wrong approach and errorsome: If the
> > autogenerated files change or others are produced, the build system
> > should know, but external magic doesn't.
> >
> >  So ... please give us a proper clean command. :)
>
> I might be missing something, but doesn't quilt only touch things inside .pc/?

This is correct.

> Thus, the "magic" involved in cleaning up just boils down to
>
>   quilt pop -f -a ; rm -rf .pc/ [1]
>
> Is that right?

Mostly yes. With the following things to consider:

* I wouldn't use "pop -f" by default, as it might discard unrefreshed
  changes. You can have "quilt clean -f" pass it.
* You may want to consider "pop -q", so that "quilt clean" isn't too
  verbose.
* Do we want "quilt clean" to work from any subdirectory, as most
  quilt commands do, or should it only work in the root directory?
  I'd vote for "only in the root directory" but others may disagree.

> [1] given a .pc/.quiltrc does not exist, in which case that one should
>     probably be preserved, and I agree a "quilt clean" might be handy here.

One of the reasons why I don't like the idea of having configuration
files in ".pc"...

Suse L3