Re: [Quilt-dev] Question about quilt setup on a series file

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] Question about quilt setup on a series file
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 19:02:47 +0100

Andreas,

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:01:05 +0100, Andreas Grünbacher wrote:
> > Was the support of series files as a source for "quilt setup" added as
> > a way to test that command, or does it have real-world use cases? Me, I
> > am only running "quilt setup" on spec files.
>
> generating the series file from a spec file is very expensive and can even
> fail for spec files which are doing weird things, so the idea was to allow the
> user to bring its own series file; quilt setup would then turn that
> series file into
> a working tree. I don't know if anybody is actually using that; I'm not
> anymore.

It doesn't look like the meta-information tags to use in the input
series file are documented anywhere, so I suspect this feature isn't
widely used.

Anyway, at the moment I do not plan to remove the support for series
file as an input. I am only considering generating a new series file
instead of symlinking to the input one. I'm just worried that some
users might rely on it being a link, meaning that operating on the
working tree automatically updates the original series file.

I'll think about it.

SUSE L3 Support