Re: [RP] An annoying bug

From: eichin-ratp
Subject: Re: [RP] An annoying bug
Date: Fri Dec 28 13:35:02 2001

> it seems so, and also it seems like all windows but the current are
> eaten up by something evil. they don't exist any longer when i start a
> new rp. how come? where are they? (the processes are living)

rp unmaps all but the current window; when it dies unpleasantly, it
doesn't find them again, they're just unmapped.

I use

$ xwininfo -tree -root|grep -i xterm | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -n1 xwit -id

to get back my xterms, and

$ xwit -names address@hidden(hostname)

to get back emacs; if you run other things, you need to either hunt
them down as well, or be more cautious than I was and actually parse
the xwininfo output specifically for top-level windows, and xwit -id
them.

(I came up with this after getting bit more often by the "bad
windowid" spinloop race condition, though that hasn't happenned to me
recently...)