Re: [RP] feature request: frozen frames

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] feature request: frozen frames
Date: Sun Feb 16 15:54:08 2003

Rupert <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> It's currently a pain if I want to run say xbiff or some other monitor
> that I'd like to be visible all the time. For example if I have xbiff
> and two other frames and then I want just xbiff and one of those
> frames I have to C-t Q with xbiff and then C-t s and find the frame I
> need, and then resize the frames to make xbiff a sensible size again.
>
> Could you "freeze" a frame like xbiff? I think that all this would
> mean is telling other frames not to obliterate it when you do C-t Q,
> so that the frozen frames restrict the space available to the other
> frames.

Hi Rupert,

This seems like an interesting idea. It's like you take a frame and
make it a panel or something. I don't think you could freeze just any
frame, though. Or if you froze one frame it might require that other
frames be frozen as well. take this for instance:

|------|
|  C | |
|    | |
|----|A|
| B  | |
-------|

It'd be fine to freeze frame A, but what about frame C? If you froze
frame C that you'd have to freeze frame B, otherwise how would C-t Q
work?

In any case, I'll think about this idea. You could do some interesting
things with it. The Speedbar in emacs would probably be a lot more
useful, for instance. And for those who use it, that would be a good
thing.

Shawn