[RP] list patch

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: [RP] list patch
Date: Sat Feb 22 03:34:05 2003

Hi folks,

I've applied the generic linked list portion of Dan Aloni's
frameset-all patch. It's something that should have happened a long
time ago. Thanks Dan. While it wasn't particularily nasty to change
things around, and I did test things somewhat well, I wouldn't be
surprised if there are some crashes or memory leaks (well, rp has
those already...) associated with the new code. The linked list code
is a bit tweaky and I may not have understood it correctly.

Let me know if you have any problems.

This conversion to a generic list is the first step to adding frame
sets. I'm not sure if I want to have a tree structure. It seems
awfully complicated to keep track of in one's mind and the trade off
doesn't seem particularily worth it. As I understand it (and I may
not), making it a tree allows you to keep track of all your frame
splitting changes. And you can revert to an earlier split
configuration and then start a new branch with a different splitting
scheme. But it seems like most of the time one would split a couple
times and make their nice configuration and then want to switch to a
different configuration. traversing the tree to get there might be a
bit irritating (although it looks like there are ways to quickly jump
around). But the question is: are all these iterations of the splits
you want really worth keeping around? Perhaps I'm just out to lunch.

Shawn