[RP] Re: ratpoison idea

From: Björn Lindström
Subject: [RP] Re: ratpoison idea
Date: Sun Apr 6 22:28:58 2003

Shawn Betts <address@hidden> [20030406 23:06]:
> > Another solution to this might be if ratpoison could ignore
> > certain windows, group transients with their parents, or
> > something like that.
>
> I'm interested to hear this but what is it a solution for?

Transients mostly disable actions in their parent window (since
that's what dialog windows are for, and transient windows are
mostly dialogs.) Therefore I think for instance ^T ^T should
switch to the last used _non-transient_ window.

This is how it should work for ratmenu too.

Since a lot of program are broken in terms of what they regard as
transient windows, this would probably have to be combined with
the possibility to redefine windows' transient/non-transient
status according to their name and class, like in Ion.

If transient windows were grouped with their parents, you could
also display them tiled in columns from the upper left corner or
something, instead of centering them.

> If you run 'defwinname name' then the window's name will be one
> word. And the bar is quite useful. But you lose some
> information you *may* find useful. Most of the time I don't
> miss it.
>
> So it's not that it's not useful.

That would be cool if you could somehow save that information. I
don't like the idea of having to type in names for the window
every time.

Also, since I tend to run _everything_ in full screen, to be able
to use really huge fonts for everything (which btw means the
window list takes even more room), I want to have a lot of
information in the window titles,
such as: "zsh:[pwd](currently running command" for example. I
don't like having to guess which of my 17 rxvt sessions were
doing whatever I want to get back to.

--
Björn Lindström <address@hidden>
Home page: http://hem.fyristorg.com/bkhl/