Re: [RP] possible bug in 1.2.0-beta3

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] possible bug in 1.2.0-beta3
Date: Fri Apr 11 15:49:02 2003

William R Thomas <address@hidden> writes:

> What font am I using for which? ;)
> When I type ratpoison -c 'windows' within my Eterm it is shown using:
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-200-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1
>
> When I display a window list using ratmenu it is using whatever
> default font X gives it.
>
> When I am processing the output of ratpoison -c 'windows %n %t' with
> perl, it really shouldn't be using any font, and it still has the same
> problem.
>
> I am used to things like the copyright symbol going to ? and that is
> what happened under older versions of ratpoison with me.  But with the
> most recent compile, it seems to blank out the whole string.

Hi William,

I changed the wm_name code a bit a while back. It could be that this
change has affected you.

What I would like to get from you is the debugging output from
you. So, first I need you to update to the latest CVS version and
build it.

you'll need to compile the source with debugging turned on:

cd <ratpoison-src>
./configure --enable-debug
make

An easy way to capture the debug output is to boot ratpoison like this:

ratpoison 1>rplog 2>&1

This assumes you're using a bash shell. Then send me the 'rplog' file.

Then boot ratpoison, start mozilla, surf to a site that doesn't have
the problem, then surf to a site that messes it up, and finally quit
ratpoison. And then send me the debug output from this.

I'm guessing somehow, when ratpoison gets the window name from X it
returns an empty string or something. That's the only way I can think
of it failing. But in anycase, hopefully the debug output will help me
get a clearer idea of what's going on.

Let me know if any of this confuses you.

Shawn