Re: [RP] Mozilla trouble

From: John Meacham
Subject: Re: [RP] Mozilla trouble
Date: Sun Apr 20 02:50:01 2003

I haven't read the ICCCM in a while, so take this with a grain of salt.
But the setting of input focus is a tricky beast. the reason mozilla
acts differently, is because it appears to be setting focus explicitly
to it's subwindows when they are clicked, pulling the focus away from
what ratpoison chose. The reason you don't see this in other apps, such
as xterm, is they only have one top-level window which receives all
keyboard events, so they need-not do anything special to receive
keyboard events since sending them to the top-level window is A-okay.

this situation is normal, and somewhat required if you realize apps must
work the same without a window manager. there are protocols defined in
the ICCCM for apps which explicitly set focus (such as mozilla) should
follow to inform the window manager of what happened. I am not sure what
the proper thing for ratpoison to do is, an option (probably the easiest
to implement)  would be to allow it, but change the current-frame to
mozilla (or any app which grabs focus) so the keyboard focus and
ratpoison's idea of the current frame never get out of sync. denying
focus change events might also be possible, but the proper way to do so
is probably tricky and would involve studying the ICCCM carefully....

It should also be noted that the problem of input focus and ratpoison
disagreeing is not limited to just mozilla, there are a variety of
sequences of events  which can bring it about when working with multiple
screens.  (as well as some other bad states) Perhaps a general solution
could be found for this particular one though.

        John

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - address@hidden