RE: [RP] comment from Havoc Pennington on startup notification

From: Casey Allen Shobe
Subject: RE: [RP] comment from Havoc Pennington on startup notification
Date: Tue Apr 29 05:39:14 2003

Nah, certainly not.  Users need more popup notifications, and I think that
ratpoison should get a popup module which can place a window of any size any
random place on the screen for the following reasons:
* People are already used to popups.  Implemented in the greatest UI,
Windows, and all the larger WMs, the popup window is nothing new.
* Popups are beneficial to people.  When browsing the web, most people get
tons and tons of popups, especially if they use the aforementioned UI with
it's built-in high-security web browser.  These popups often contain special
offers and once-in-a-lifetime bargains (or at least some nice well-designed
advertisement).  The general public has therefore come to enjoy tho popping
up of a popup, and the frequency should be increased whenever possible.
* A popup gets noticed.  Whether there to inspire a purchase, notify you of
a system error, completion of downloading your email, prompting for personal
information, etc., popups are never ignored and using them ensures prompt
user feedback.
* Popups can be combined with the "always on top until you're done with me"
property, which can prevent other more lowly popups from interfering with
your popup (well unless they also enable the same property).
* A brilliant invention called pop-unders has been invented.  This
technology enables programmers to hide the popups from the user, so that
there will be more of a game for the user to close the popup, and sometimes,
you  can use it to ensure that the user won't see the popup until the
popup's good and ready for them.
* Popups can be added for useless and annoying functions (i.e. "Your window
has appeared", "Your progress bar has gotten almost all the way to the right
hand side, so you may want to return your attention to the progress bar
window", "Your operating system seems to be no longer functional", etc.

Without popups, ratpoison stands an almost certain chance of dying off just
like all those other WMs that don't have popup functionality, like the linux
console.

- Casey