[RP] comment from Havoc Pennington on startup notification

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: [RP] comment from Havoc Pennington on startup notification
Date: Mon Apr 28 23:57:05 2003

Back in October, the GNOME people were looking at the same issues we
were.  Below is a quote from Havoc Pennington about startup notification.
It reminds me of a couple things I'd like to see in ratpoison:

1) If I start an app, then switch to another window, I don't want to
lose focus in my current window when the window of the new app pops up.
I'd rather the window opened underneath the current window, and a little
message flashed up saying that my window was ready.

2) Of course, we'd all like windows to pop up in the frame/screen that
we invoked their applications in.

Startup notification looks like it can allow both of those things.  This
is pretty exciting, especially if we can get it into the ICCCM standard
and the standard X apps.

> It also seems to guarantee wasted time > processing each new program when only a handful really need the busy
 > cursor.

 The overhead here is near-zero, it won't show up, I promise.
 KDE is already using this basic setup.

It's not just for busy cursor though. At least two other nice features a WM can add:

- If you click a launcher on desktop N, the app sticks to desktop N even if you switch desktops before it comes up.

  - If you launch an app, then explicitly focus another app, the WM
     can avoid focusing the newly-launched app.

  > Obviously a solution to this type of problem is needed,
> just not sure I like > this one. The thought of implementing the window manager
  > side of this is giving me the willys.

  Don't worry, it's really easy. Plus you can just use my
  reference implementation if you want.

  Havoc

--
                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2