Re: [RP] patches

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] patches
Date: Wed Jun 11 22:56:06 2003

Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:

> "Joshua Neuheisel" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Let me throw out a similar suggestion:
> >
> > What if we had a ratpoison-experimental CVS branch?  This branch would run
> > parallel to the main branch but would include patches that could be 'turned
> > on-or-off' with configure options.  If no patches are chosen, it would be
> > identical to the main build.  That way if someone wanted my Xft patch and
> > Rupert's dumphistory patch, they would configure the experimental branch
> > with "./configure --with-xft --enable-dumphistory" or the like.
>
> Yeah, it's true. I've let a lot of patches slide :|.
>
> What about a module system? Something where you could write a bar
> module and a module that loads several commands. That way rp would be
> more modular and less *ahem* nasty :). And you could swap in the mods
> you want...including swapping out the core mods.
>
> This seems a bit better than having patches laying around.

That wouldnt entirely work though, I don't think.  At least not for a
lot of patches that I've seen, like the ansi color bar patch for
instance (DID we ever see that patch?).

A module system would be good for extensions, but not for tweaks and
improvements, which I think most of the patches are.

Ryan