Re: [RP] patches

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] patches
Date: Wed Jun 11 22:53:06 2003

"Joshua Neuheisel" <address@hidden> writes:

> Let me throw out a similar suggestion:
>
> What if we had a ratpoison-experimental CVS branch?  This branch would run
> parallel to the main branch but would include patches that could be 'turned
> on-or-off' with configure options.  If no patches are chosen, it would be
> identical to the main build.  That way if someone wanted my Xft patch and
> Rupert's dumphistory patch, they would configure the experimental branch
> with "./configure --with-xft --enable-dumphistory" or the like.
>
> The down side (which I can attest to by experience) is that the maintainer
> of the experimental branch will have to take the time to merge main line
> code back to the branch.  Right now, each patch maintainer must do that
> him/her-self.  This way, it would be done once at the branch level for
> everybody.  Since I'm not one to suggest more work for others, I'd be
> willing to volunteer to do the merging if people want to go this route.

I would be interested in seeing a see patchpoison version.  I wouldnt
want to maintain it, and I probably wouldnt run it regularily, but it
could be good for those who want an unofficial version with all the
hacks turned all the way up.  And the best of breed patches would wind
up in the official tree.

Ryan