[RP] RP-EXC The RatPoison Embedded Xterm Console patch

From: Joshua Neuheisel
Subject: [RP] RP-EXC The RatPoison Embedded Xterm Console patch
Date: Fri Dec 12 12:33:08 2003

This falls into the enough-talk-let's-see-your-patches department.  You wanted an embedded xterm, you've got it.  You wanted color escape sequences and pretty fonts, you've got it.  You wanted to issue non-interactive commands in interactive mode, you've got it.

After applying the attached patch against the current CVS, configure with the --enable-exc switch to turn it on.

What does it do?
-----
When RP starts up, it opens an xterm console on each screen.  It then redirects the standard streams to push and pull data from this console, using the readline library to do the dirty work.  All commands entered are issued in non-interactive mode.  Just think of a standard xterm with the shell prompt replaced by a ":".

What is the status?
-----
We'll call this an alpha patch since I didn't have time to check all the commands.  Also, I don't think it works perfectly when there is more than one screen.  Just think of this patch as a "Proof Of Concept" patch.  If people show interest, I'll throw more work into it.

What other cool features does this patch offer?
-----
I'm glad you asked.  When children are fork/exec-ed, their output streams are redirected to the console as well.  Hence "exec ls" will Do The Right Thing.  This feature alone should be useful to those hard core RP hackers thirsting for a good way to post messages.

Enjoy,
Joshua