Re: [RP] Fix for ratpoison OpenBSD-Port

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: [RP] Fix for ratpoison OpenBSD-Port
Date: Fri Oct 8 12:04:11 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:10:04PM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
> > So the choice seems to be: break it, have a leak, or don't use putenv(3).
>
> I'll take a look at some other software and see what they do...I've
> always been confused about putenv. It's time to get it straight.

Indeed. I'll discuss that with some friends. At least, according to
POSIX, the manpage you cited was perfectly correct:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/putenv.html

Also interesting is this mail and it's two replies:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/1999-08/msg00005.html

I'll also have a deeper dive into the ratpoison sources to find a good
solution.

Ciao,
        Kili