Re: [RP] About redrawing/resizing/positioning

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: Re: [RP] About redrawing/resizing/positioning
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:06:28 +0200

Daniel Link @ 2005-08-12 (Friday), 12:38 (+0200)
> Hi!

Guten tag,

> First of all, great window manager (improves relationship to developers)

(:

> There are some things I'm missing or find inconvenient:
>
> 1. Terminal programs should once be redrawn (C-t C-l) automatically
> after startup and after assigning them to a new frame.

Only xterm has that problem, and it's a bug within that program, not in
ratpoison.

I can suggest two solutions that doesn't require any changes to
ratpoison.

1. Switch to another terminal emulator. (:

2. Add automatic execution of redraw when xterms get mapped using some
   addhook trick.

> 2. A command focusprev or something would be nice. focus cycles through
> frames, but focuslast only lets one switch between the current and the
> last frame. I'd like to see some sort of backward-cycling.

Since I don't uses frames, I have no useful comments.

> 3. Has there been any news about the Ncurses issue? I'm not sure whether
> I got the list archives right. Was it only about Ncurses from within
> screen? If so, my problem's new. Try centericq or mp3blaster and resize
> the frame -> parts of the window aren't used or become and stay black.
> Do these programs handle redrawing insufficiently? Can you think of a
> workaround?

Using other software? ;) My personal preferences are musicpd and
irssi+bitlbee for those tasks.

Any more constructive feedback must come from someone else, I'm afraid.

> 4. Could all the transient windows of one application be placed not on
> top but next to each other?

How do you mean? Should they share the same frame? Or do you suggest
automatic creation of frames sized after the windows?

> 5. Ever tried xine and opened the context menu? Yuck.

I remember that xine had a huge amount of bugs when I last tried it.
--
/Martin