Re: [RP] About redrawing/resizing/positioning

From: Aaron Griffin
Subject: Re: [RP] About redrawing/resizing/positioning
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:13:25 -0500

On 8/12/05, Daniel Link <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First of all, great window manager (improves relationship to developers)
Agreed! I was a big fan of WMI back in the day.  Now I can't stay with
WMII (newer version) too long without going back to RP

I'll only address what others have not addressed.

> 3. Has there been any news about the Ncurses issue? I'm not sure whether
> I got the list archives right. Was it only about Ncurses from within
> screen? If so, my problem's new. Try centericq or mp3blaster and resize
> the frame -> parts of the window aren't used or become and stay black.
> Do these programs handle redrawing insufficiently? Can you think of a
> workaround?

I had a problem with alot of ncurses apps when running inside screen.
They would regularly garble and get all screwed up.  Turns out it was
a terminfo issue.  running "TERM=screen screen" made it work fine
(before screen was using xterm-xfree86 terminfo, which mucked it all
up)

> 4. Could all the transient windows of one application be placed not on
> top but next to each other?

I don't agree with this, I like the current stack setup.  I just wish
there was someway to slightly modify the behavior... for instance,
doing things in Inkscape is a mess because every tool pops up
transient windows.

> 5. Ever tried xine and opened the context menu? Yuck.

Yeah, I know - it's because xine is made crappy - ion and wmii have
issues with xine too.  I've just stopped using the context menu and
learned all the shortcuts.  I also configure the thing by hand (in the
config file).
One *big* problem I get is when there is a decoding error, the popup
box is tiled across the screen (that is, there's a grid about 5x5 of
the same box).
Still, both problems seem like upstream issues with xine-ui