Re: [RP] Greetings

From: TBlittlefoot
Subject: Re: [RP] Greetings
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:26:12 -0700

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 12:21:02AM +0200, Florian Cramer wrote:
> Am Freitag, 26. August 2005 um 11:18:42 Uhr (-0700) schrieb TBlittlefoot:
> > Wish I knew C, I'd help out, but I'm just a shell programmer.
>
> You can manipulate almost any behavior of ratpoison, and implement any
> new function, using "ratpoison -c" calls in your shell scripts. This is
> actually good practice [see the many scripts in the "contrib" folder of
> the ratpoison distribution and on the ratpoison wiki] since it keeps
> bloat away from the ratpoison codebase.
>
> One could say that ratpoison is a "window manager kernel" that can be
> arbitrarily extended through an external script userland.

Better and better.

If I could find or write a good, efficient (non-bloated) file
manager with commandline completion and history, I'd move to
ash. Shell bloat is getting horrendous.

Just tried GNU Interactive Tools on for size, but it has no
command completion.

> Which is, if I
> understand things correctly, why S. Betts has got into LISP programming
> and created StumpWM eventually.

The dread Emacs.

Is there still an editor in there somewhere?

:-)

--------

I've got the source for 1.4.0-beta4.

What are the pros and cons of using this option?

Use the configure option '--disable-history' to disable the filesystem rat.

If I choose this one,

Use the configure option '--with-xterm=PROG' to set the x terminal
emulator to use. The default is `xterm'.

will I lose the ability to put lines like
this in my ~/.ratpoisonrc?

unbind c
bind c exec aterm -title "NEW" -fn
"-*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" -geometry 109X45+0+0 -bg
beige -sr -sl 300

I may find a smaller x-terminal-emulator that works as well as
aterm.

Tom

--
This mail ends with :wq