Re: [RP] For the wishlist: "unmanage" with wildcards or regexps

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [RP] For the wishlist: "unmanage" with wildcards or regexps
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:03:02 +0200

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 07:38:06PM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
> > Ok, thanks for reading my wishlist so far and thanks for that (even
> > without those features ;-) really cool and pragmatic window manager.
>
> A good time to stop and think, "is there a better way?" is
> when you start wishing unmanage was more fully featured.

Yeah, BTDT, but came to the conclusion, that I still wish that
unmanage is more flexible -- since I refuse to make the decision if
some program should be usable with ratpoison or not just out of the
fact that a program changes its window title dynamically or has
already been started when ratpoison starts.

My .Xsession is already cluttered with constructs like

  ( sleep 2; trayer & nm-applet & ) &
  exec ratpoison

because of that. It's ugly and IMHO a unecessary nuisance...

And regarding the mentioned programs:

I still think that independent of the window manager and despite its
age, xv is one of the best and fastest keyboard drivable image viewers
for X available, especially since it follows one of ratpoison's
principles: Don't clutter the screen where not necessary, image plus
title bar and one small optional window -- nothing more, no grey
fields around images, no button bars, no menu bars, but a lot of one
key stroke commands. I can work with that program nearly blind.

                Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - address@hidden, address@hidden - http://noone.org/abe/