Re: [RP] Using dzen, ratpoison, freebsd

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [RP] Using dzen, ratpoison, freebsd
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 13:26:23 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:54:30PM +0200, Dirk Arlt wrote:
> I work on using dzen with ratpoison but most scripts i find via Google
> are done for xmonad. I'd love to see some scripts working using rp with
> fbsd.

I use dzen together with i3status[1] in ratpoison. I also use lxpanel[2]
since I need a system tray for network manager's nm-applet.
("lxpanelctl menu" is bound to some key combo in .ratpoisonrc to open
the menu without mouse.)

  [1] http://i3.zekjur.net/i3status/
  [2] http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel

Both, dzen and lxpanel are configured to sit on the bottom of the
screen (non-overlapping of course) and not being managed by ratpoison.
ratpoison's managed screen is limited to the space above those two
bars using

  set padding 0 0 0 40
  unmanage panel

in the .ratpoisonrc.

Works fine for me on Debian GNU/Linux. Haven't tried it on FreeBSD though.

                Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - address@hidden, address@hidden - http://noone.org/abe/