[RP] Re: Using dzen, ratpoison, freebsd

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [RP] Re: Using dzen, ratpoison, freebsd
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:06:56 +0100

Dirk Arlt <address@hidden> writes:
> I'd like add a Mailchecker (which i found but did not get it to
> work), diskspace, network-usage, calendar, window-list and such...
>
> What i wanted to ask: Does anybody use the combination freebsd,
> ratpoison, dzen and what scripts are you using.

I use linux + ratpoison + dzen.  In my dzen script, I have define the
following function (very much specific to my needs but you may be able
to customise it according to yours) which gets the sizes of a set of
mbox style mail files:

,----
| # get numbers of messages in various mailboxes (inbox, spool and drafts)
| function mbox () {
|     res=""
|     colour=$RED
|     for m in vmdrafts vminbox.spool vminbox
|     do
|       f="$HOME/s/Mail/$m"
|       if [ -f $f ];
|       then
|           r=$(from -c -f $HOME/s/Mail/$m | awk '{print $3}')
|       else
|           r="0"
|       fi
|       res="$res $colour$r"
|       colour=$GREEN
|     done
|     echo $res
| }
`----

I then have the following in my loop within the dzen script:

,----
| MAILINFO=$(mbox)
| MAILLINE=$(echo "M: $GREEN$MAILINFO$RED |$CLEAN")
| echo "$MAILLINE $POWERLINE $TEMPERATURELINE | Load: $LOADLINE | $VOLUMELINE |
$DATELINE"

| sleep 10
`----

HTH,