Re: [RP] focusup and friends on multihead setups

From: Torbjörn Söderstedt
Subject: Re: [RP] focusup and friends on multihead setups
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:06:04 +0200

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 03:29:52PM -0700, Kipling Inscore wrote:
> 2009/10/6 Torbjörn Söderstedt <address@hidden>:
> > The focusup/left/down/right commands are currently restricted to one
> > screen. I
>
> As another multi-head Ratpoison user, I've become accustomed to that
> restriction and using 'sselect screennumber' to switch screens (there
> are also 'nextscreen' and 'prevscreen').

I find those commands useful when switching to a screen with only one frame,
and/or switching back again. With multiple frames, it makes more sense to use
spatial navigation instead.

> > have attached a patch makes these commands move focus to the next screen
> > when
> > the current frame is at the edge of the current screen. The exchange*
> > commands
> > should do the same, but I didn't attempt to implement that.
>
> Is it trickier than setting your new all_screens argument to 1? I
> think behavior should be consistent.

Yes, it crashes if you do that. There is a comment that says so in the function
that does the exchange, and I verified that it is correct. :-)

> Do the other (non-directional) focus commands already span screens (I
> don't use them)?
> Are there other commands that should also be updated to be consistent?

I don't know. It currently works good enough for me, so unless this is something
that will be merged I don't really see any reason to fix it.