Re: [RP] Proposals: Cyrillic support and pop-ups handling

From: Ingo Krabbe
Subject: Re: [RP] Proposals: Cyrillic support and pop-ups handling
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 19:16:54 +0200

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:11:50AM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Stayvoid <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 1. Does ratpoison support Cyrillic?
> > For example: If I press C-t 8 I will see gibberish symbols for windows
> > with Cyrillic.
> > Maybe something is wrong on my side, but I don't know how to test it.
>
> I'm all for switching to unicode. I sorta thought it did utf-8 already
> but I guess I'm wrong. I'm pretty certain it's just a matter of
> calling different font drawing functions.
>
> I also think ratpoison should use xkb.

>From what I see from the ratpoison prompt, it looks like the input comes in as
>utf-8, when X11 is configured to do so using the xkb configuration. When I
>simply enter `echo "öäü€" > /tmp/out`
 I see that "gibberish" output in the ratpoison command line but valid unicode
(or utf-8) in /tmp/out.

So all we need to do is fix the text output ratpoison does. I can't tell though
what happens on complex composed characters, using complex scripts used by some
east asian languages. I would leave that up to the japanese, or whatever, users.

Though I may choose to fiddle around with some input methods in the next
months. But I can't tell how much time I get acclaim for such things.

Agreed, changing the font output shouldn't be too hard. I may look at it this
weekend or in one of the next two or three of those.

Actually xkb is just the XServer configuration library to handle keyboard
devices and not subject to ratpoison. Handling composed characters is subject
to Input Methods. But I don't know an implementation that is usefull or widely
accepted. Actually input methods are handled differently for the different
toolkits, we don't want to use in ratpoison's development.

bye ingo