Re: [RP] Utilities (aka, "how do you...")

From: Vincent Batts
Subject: Re: [RP] Utilities (aka, "how do you...")
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 08:22:29 -0400

here is the snippet of my ~/.ratpoisonrc that handles the utilities i'm interested in.

```
definekey top Print exec import -window root ~/screenshot.jpg

definekey top XF86Display exec xrandr --auto
definekey top XF86Standby exec lockout
definekey top XF86Sleep exec lockout
definekey top XF86AudioLowerVolume exec aumix -v -10
definekey top XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec aumix -v +10
definekey top XF86AudioMute exec aumix -v 0
definekey top XF86Battery exec ratpoison -d :0.0 -c "echo $(power_info -percent)"
definekey top XF86Mail exec xterm -e mutt
definekey top XF86Explorer exec gvim .
definekey top XF86Calculator exec xcalc
```

the two non-standard commands are my own.
https://github.com/vbatts/go-lockout and https://github.com/vbatts/power_info

take care,
vb

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 4:52 AM, Felix Salfelder <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 10:32:08AM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> *1. Screenshot.* Does anyone know a good rp-compatible screenshot program
> that doesn't require popping up a window along the way, sort of like
> "gnome-screenshot --area --clipboard" but without the gnome dependency?

i don't know what gnome-screenshot does.

> (I'd also like one that drops to a file.)

scrot might do what you want.

> *2. Audio. *Does anyone have a good rp-friendly way of dealing with sound
> (volume up/down)? I'd rather not try to get the gnome widgets working in
> stalonetray just for this. On my laptop, amixer works. On my desktop, it
> doesn't. Altogether, I'd like to get what gnome has: me not having to think
> about audio.

xterm -e alsamixer is not what you are looking for, is it? :D

> *3. Storage mounting. *When I plug in an SD card from my camera or a
> portable hard drive, I'd like it just to mount and have id mappings set so
> properly. Instead, I end up doing stuff the old fashioned way (look in
> kern.log for the device, then sudo mount, then sudo umount). I don't want
> to run nautilus at all, let alone just for this. How do others do it?

sudo is not necessary, if you use the user/users option. yes, you need
to put all your devices into /etc/fstab beforehand. i wouldn't call it
old fashioned, maybe just 'robust', or 'deterministic'.

imo mounting/umounting should be done seperately. depending on your
needs, there are various ways that use more magic (autofs, fusermount?),
still without involving window managers.

hth, cheers
felix