Re: [RP] ratpoison and libhistory support

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [RP] ratpoison and libhistory support
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 00:20:01 +0100

Hi Jeremie,

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 08:54:23AM +0100, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> Would you mourn the loss of libhistory support in ratpoison?
>
> ratpoison can optionally make use of this library to support !!-style
> expansions, like in bash.

Cool! Never heard about that feature in ratpoison, but use it everyday
in bash and zsh. ^search^replace^ is also part of that feature set.

Full documentation of libhistory's features:
http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/php/chet/readline/history.html#SEC3

> It's not a hassle to support, very little code is involved ;

Sounds good. And readline (where libhistory belongs to) is available
everywhere anyways, so no additional packaging dependencies involved.

> but I think seldom users even know about it,

That's the problem!

> I don't find this useful myself.

Hrm. I'd use it rather seldom, ...

> If you already make use of this feature, please speak up,

... but I likely would use it.

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 06:39:36PM +0100, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
> I checked a few packages packages out there, Debian and OpenBSD don't
> activate this support, Fedora does.

... and I likely would already have discovered it if the Debian
package would have enabled that feature.

So if you don't kick it out, I'd file a wishlist bug against ratpoison
in Debian to enable it.

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)