re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failover

From: Greg Freemyer
Subject: re: [rdiff-backup-users] Failover
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:25:25 -0500

 >>  I'm new to rdiff-backup and thinks it's one of the most useful tools
 >>  I've ever run across.

 >>  My question is:

 >>  Is anyone using this for a true failover mirror?  Is it possible to use
 >>  this routine to push an entire configuration to a secondary box, then
 >>  use the secondary box in case primary fails?

 >>  If anyone is doing this, can you give me an idea of your routine.

 >>  Thanks again

 >>  Mark Bulson
 >>  Charleston, SC

I'm not doing this rdiff-backup, but I do a fair amount of disaster recovery
planning / HA clustering.

Assuming Linux:

For a LAN, drdb and heartbeat (Linux-HA) seem like a good pairing that can
handle moderate data volumes.

For a WAN, I would think rsync would work better than rdiff-backup.  You could
use cron to sync up every hour or so.

A big problem for the WAN env. is getting the IP routing to go to the right
location upon a failover.  Linux-HA handles that in the LAN env.

====
Of course, if you have "Enterprise" class needs, the typical data redundancy
solutions are:

    LAN: Shared SCSI or FC arrays   (IBM also makes a ServeRAID product which
fits between these and drdb in price).

   WAN: Data Replication implemented via FC fabric and managed in the FC array.

HTH
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer