Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Pruning files from an existing backup

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Pruning files from an existing backup
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:59:38 -0800

  SB> Is there a 'proper' way to remove certain files and directories
  SB> from an existing backup? I'm worried about destorying the
  SB> integrity of the backup if I do some by-hand rm'ing on the
  SB> target machine.

Well, the 'proper' was is probably just to start excluding it from
your current backups, and wait for them to fall off the end when you
--remove-older-than.  But if that isn't practical, if you want to
remove the 'dir' directory from your rdiff-backup mirror directory (at
'/backup') you can:

rm -rf /backup/dir /backup/rdiff-backup-data/increments/dir*

where the above assumes that you don't have any other files in the
/backup directory starting with dir.

--
Ben Escoto