Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup keepalive

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup keepalive
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:08:36 -0800

  DK> Yeah I was just wondering how hard it might be to get
  DK> rdiff-backup to see if the ssh connection reports a timeout and
  DK> then just restart the ssh session.  Perhaps if resume is fixed
  DK> in 11.4 or later then I can write some sort of script to monitor
  DK> the connection and restart it myself?  Or is rerunning the
  DK> backup straight away a resonable alternative to --resume.

No, I just got rid of --resume.  I was getting too complicated to
write the current state to disk and take into account all the various
conditions that could be going on.  Instead the newer versions back
out all the changes and start over fresh.  As a result a failed backup
should never have any bad effects on your archive, but the recovery
process can be time consuming.

About restarting the ssh connection, the problem is that that would
also start a new instance of rdiff-backup, so the server side would
lose all the information that was set previous in the session.

  DK> Do you have any suggestions off the top of your head as to how I
  DK> could monitor a timeout from a script myself?

Well, it seems to me that the right way to do this (other than just
fixing the current network setup) would be to add another networking
layer that does guarantee a good connection.  So you would have some
client and server.  rdiff-backup would run the client, and it would
connect to the server (via ssh or whatever) which would then run
rdiff-backup on the remote side.  The client/server combo would make
sure that all the information successfully got to the other side.  If
the ssh connection went dead, it could be restarted, so on the
application level it just appears that you have one stable connection.

Well this probably isn't what you want.  But if there is something
like this you could use it for any pipe-based networking, like rsync
or cvs or whatever.

--
Ben Escoto