Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup keepalive

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup keepalive
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:01:49 -0800

  DK> Hey, yet another problem from me :) The problem basically is
  DK> that rdiff-backup never manages to finish a connection it always
  DK> times out. I suspect its something to do with the network -
  DK> however I don't really have control over the bit that matters
  DK> (its a serviced office). Is there a way to get rdiff-backup to
  DK> just keep retrying the connection if it times out - It always
  DK> just seems to die and --resume doesn't seem to work nicely
  DK> anyway.  I do want to run these backups from cron, but keep
  DK> going if it times out.

Yeah, --resume was problematic so was removed and there is a new
system for 0.11.2 and later.  But what do you mean "retry"?  Keep
starting up ssh or whatever?  I am really hesitant to even start
thinking about this issue.  Right now the requirements are simple:
rdiff-backup requires a bidirectional pipe to the destination.  That
seems to be a reasonable division of labor.  I don't want to have to
start thinking about networking issues, failed connections, resending
corrupted packets, or anything like that.

--
Ben Escoto