[rdiff-backup-users] Resource forks HFS+

From: Daniel Hazelbaker
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Resource forks HFS+
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:37:43 -0700

I am trying to figure out how to implement a new option to rdiff-backup.  It
would be useful for Mac OS X machines only running on HFS+ file systems.
The option would be --use-resource-forks and would return the filename and
the filename + "/rsrc".

Reason: Mac OS X gives you access to the resource fork information by
appending /rsrc to the filename.  We want to backup a few hundred gigs of
data, incrementally. These files have resource fork information that we
would like to have backed up as well.  The easiest way I can think to do
this is with a modification to rdiff-backup that has it include the resource
fork information. (When there is no resource fork information the "file" is
0 bytes long).

Now.  I am a fairly good programmer but I have VERY little experience with
python.  If I understand the code then I need to modify Iterate: and
Iterate_fast: functions in selection.py.  The Iterate function I think I
understand but the Iterate_fast function is a bit confusing to me.  So if
somebody could give some insight on how to do that, that would be great.
Also it would be very helpful to have it list all files/directories it is
mirroring and incrementing, what log/verbose level do I need to do this
without flooding myself with other info?

Thanks,
Daniel Hazelbaker
Network Administrator
High Desert Church

(Please C.C. Me as I am not on this list)